In preparation for your move, please carefully review. This is meant to be a helpful tool to guide you through the move-out process.
When you surrender the property, the property must be 100% ready for a new tenant to take possession. You must surrender the property to us on or before your lease expiration date. If the property is not surrendered and “ready” on your lease expiration date, you will be charged a daily rate for rent and utilities until a vendor is available to conduct the cleaning and repairs. A vendor coordination fee for each vendor needed will be charged to you as well consistent with your lease.
- Notice to Vacate: Make sure that you have submitted your “Move Out” date on your resident portal at least 30-days prior to your lease expiration date and include your forwarding address. Forwarding Address: If you do not provide a forwarding address to Falcon, your remaining security deposit will be sent to the rental property address. Any forwarding address provided must be a physical forwarding address, P.O. Boxes are not accepted.
- Mail Forwarding: Submit a change-of-address with the USPS and change all online accounts to your correct mailing and billing address. If we have to forward your mail or send packages to you, there is a service fee and postage that you will be required to pay. Sometimes mail carriers can re-route your packages ahead of time.
- Cleaning: Made sure to review and complete our cleaning list below. We highly recommend a professional cleaner.
- Carpet Cleaning: All carpeted areas in the property must be professionally cleaned by a truck-mounted carpet cleaning company AFTER all furniture and belongings are moved out. Renting a carpet cleaner such as a Rug Doctor or hiring an inexpensive carpet cleaner will not be accepted. A receipt from a truck mounted carpet cleaning company is required when you surrender the property to Falcon, if not provided you will be charged for this service consistent with your lease. Like the cleaning; make sure the truck mounted carpet cleaner guarantees their work meaning they will go back out to correct any missed spots or to re-treat stains. If you pets were in the property, pet enzymes on all areas are required.
***Carpet cleaning should be one of the last things done at the property. If you’re signed up for the Resident Benefit Package we will coordinate the carpet cleaning to be done for you!
- Touch-up Paint/Painting: If there are holes that need touch-up; spackle first, then paint. Apply a test area of paint (with a Q-tip) to ensure that it matches. Make sure you wait until it has dried completely as it will change color as it dries. If the paint does not match, do not use it! Contact our office before you move forward, please. We highly recommend using a Q-tip for nail holes and smaller holes. If you use a roller or paint brush, this will usually leave “paint flashing” marks which will result in the walls needing to be re-painted at your expense. If you do not have touch-up paint, just spackle the holes and wipe the excess spackle off with a damp cloth. Please notify us if you do not have touch-up paint or if it has dried out.
- Utility and Trash Companies: Contact all appropriate trash and utility companies to ensure that service is taken out of your name no earlier than your lease expiration date. If service is transferred out of your name prior to your lease expiration date, you will be charged a daily prorated amount for utilities and a $75 fine for doing so. During the fall and winter, the heat must be left at 62 degrees. Doing so can lead to possible frozen pipes and thousands of dollars in damage. All trash must also be collected and removed from the property and trash/recycling bins must be empty. All trash and recycling must also be collected and removed from the property. Trash/recycling bins must be returned to the trash provider prior to you surrendering the property. Failure to do so will result in a $75 vendor coordinate fee. If you did not contract directly for trash pickup as it was provided by the HOA/landlord, bins are to be left at the property as they were provided to you.
- Light Bulbs/Batteries/Furnace Filter: Make sure that you have replaced light bulbs that have burned out (interior and exterior), all smoke/CO detectors and thermostats are working as well as that a brand new furnace filter is installed.
- Sprinkler System and Lawn Care: If you vacate during the spring or summer when your sprinkler system is still running, do not turn it off! Leave it on as programmed and do not tamper with the panel/clock. Doing so can result in a very costly deduction to your security deposit due to a dead lawn, vendor appointment, etc. If mowing or weeding is needed prior to surrendering the property, please take care of it.
- Keys: After locking and securing the property; all keys, mail keys, cards, and remotes pertaining to the property need to be placed on the kitchen counter unless otherwise arranged with our office and an email confirmation sent to email@example.com confirming you have surrendered the property. Keys not turned in or turned in on time will be subject to charges as outlined in your lease.
- Security Deposit: After you surrender the property, a move-out inspection will be conducted by our office where we will compare the surrendered condition with the condition it was provided to you. As part of our evaluation, we will review in detail the inspection that was taken prior to your move in and look at any supporting documentation such as your inventory and condition form and maintenance requests. The videos and support documents will be used to determine any and all applicable charges. Colorado Law allows 30-60 days to fully process and return your deposit. When fully processed, your deposit will be mailed to the forwarding address you have provided to Falcon.
Please let us know if you have any questions and remember; planning ahead is key!!
The Falcon Team
The Cleaning List
- Walls need to be washed and free of dirt and smudges.
- Baseboards need to be washed and free of dirt and smudges.
- Wash all woodwork (trim, door jams, stair banister, etc.).
- Remove all nails, spackle holes, and touch-up with paint.
- Ceiling fans and light fixtures need to be wiped down and free of dust and dirt. If there are dead bugs or debris inside the light globes/covers, please clean them out.
- Air vents and returns need to be wiped/washed.
- Light switch plates need to be wiped.
- Sweep and mop all flooring (vinyl, hardwood, tile, laminate).
- Windows and window tracks wiped.
- Window treatments (shades, blinds, and curtains) need to be clean and free of dust.
- If blinds are broken or slats are broken, please replace them with same kind.
- Drains need to be unclogged and free flowing.
- Cabinets and drawers throughout the property need to be vacuumed out and cleaned, especially the little crumbs that hide in the back corners.
- Remove shelf liners in cabinets and drawers.
- Clean cooktops with a product that will not scratch.
- Replace drip pans on the cooktop if they are beyond cleaning.
- Pull appliances out to clean behind and around them (refrigerator, stove/oven, washer and dryer).
- Clean inside and around all appliances including washers and dryers. The detergent dispensers and lint filters are often missed.
- Exhaust fans throughout need to be cleaned and free of lint and dust.
- Windex mirrors.
- Remove shower drain plate and remove hair/buildup
- Remove dishwasher filter and any food particles/ debris
- Remove soap scum, rust, lime, and water stains from bathroom areas. Do not use a scour pad or scour product as it will ruin the finish.
- Toilets must be pristine! *Clean inside, outside, and all around the toilet to include the hinges which can hide things.
- Garages and sheds need to be swept out and oil stains need to be removed.
- Remove weeds and debris from window wells.
- Remove trash and personal belongings from the property.
- Ashes and debris from wood-burning fireplaces need to be cleaned out.
- Only use a damp cloth to clean gas fireplace glass. Do not use Windex.
- Replace refrigerator water filter.
- Check garbage disposal to ensure that nothing is trapped inside. Ice cubes and baking soda is suggested for cleaning the inside. Lemons can cause a jam and a crack.
- Damages that occurred during your stay in the property need to be repaired prior to surrendering the property such as: drywall patching, re- screening, etc.
Please note that if Falcon has to contact vendors/utility companies on your behalf, you will receive charges accordingly consistent with your lease.